Contributed by Maine Historical Society
The origin and the name of the Union soldier who collected this Confederate canteen are unknown. Like many Civil War relics, it likely was picked up on a battlefield during the war.
Made of wood, the canteen is unusual in that its original leather strap is intact.
About This Item
- Title: Confederate canteen, ca. 1863
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Media: Wood, leather, metal
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment & supplies
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.