Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Granville Sparrow of Portland, who served as a sergeant, then 2nd and 1st lieutenant, and finally as captain in the 17th Maine Infantry, carried this army-issued field sword during his time as a commissioned officer during the Civil War.
Officers rarely used the swords in battle.
About This Item
- Title: Granville F. Sparrow sword, ca. 1863
- Creator: Mansfield & Lamb, Rhode Island
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Media: Steel, brass
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 103.5 cm
- Local Code: 1998.453.2
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Arms & armament
- Daggers & swords
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.