Contributed by Boothbay Region Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Boothbay Harbor photographers McDougall and Keefe took this photograph of a Native American child, one of the Ranco children, in a basket around 1915. At the time it was common for Wabanaki families, among them the Rankos and the Sockabasins, to come to Boothbay Harbor from Old Town each summer to sell baskets, snowshoes, carved wooden items, and other souvenirs to summer visitors. The Indian families displayed their wares in a tent set up at the east end of the footbridge, where this photograph was taken.
About This Item
- Title: Indian child in basket, ca. 1915
- Creator: McDougall and Keefe, Boothbay Harbor
- Creation Date: circa 1915
- Subject Date: circa 1915
- Location: Boothbay Harbor, Lincoln County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10.4 cm x 7.6 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Children--Maine--Boothbay Harbor
- Humorous pictures
- Indian baskets--Maine--Boothbay Harbor
- Indians of North America--Maine--Boothbay Harbor
For more information about this item, contact:Boothbay Region Historical Society
PO Box 272, Boothbay Harbor, ME 04538
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.