Contributed by Walker Memorial Library
The Cumberland Telephone Co. operators are at work, in this photograph from around 1910. The early records for telephone service in Westbrook are spotty, but it is known that there was a telephone in the Woodman Pharmacy as early as 1885/86.
In 1902 the Cumberland Telephone Co. was organized, in the Cutter- Benoit block and shortly thereafter moved to the 2nd floor of the Edwards block at the corner of Main and Bridge St. in 1907. The Cumberland Telephone Company was bought by the New England Telephone Co. in 1910, and remained in the Edwards block until 1917, when their offices moved to 822 Main Street.
About This Item
- Title: Westbrook Telephone Exchange, Westbrook, ca. 1910
- Creation Date: circa 1910
- Subject Date: circa 1910
- Westbrook, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 15 cm
- Local Code: Notebook 11, page 2
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Business enterprises--Maine--Westbrook
- New England Telephone and Telegraph Company--Buildings--Maine--Westbrook
- Telephone operators--Maine--Westbrook
- Telephone switchboards--Maine--Westbrook
- Telephone industry--Maine--Westbrook
- Telephone companies--Maine--Westbrook
For more information about this item, contact:Walker Memorial Library
800 Main Street, Westbrook, ME 04092
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.