Contributed by Maine Irish Heritage Center
Lieutenant W. J. McCallum was given this complimentary ticket to the Portland High School Cadets' (P.H.S.C.) Grand Drill and Ball in Portland on March 12, 1883.
McCallum was a member of the all Irish-American volunteer militia, the Portland Montgomery Guards.
The ticket reads, "P.H.S.C. Grand Drill and Ball, for the benefit of the Longfellow Memorial, at City Hall, Monday evening, March 12, 1883. Admit Lieut. W. J. McCallum & ladies. Complimentary."
About This Item
- Title: Portland High School Cadets Grand Ball and Drill Ticket, Portland, 1883
- Creation Date: 1883
- Subject Date: 1883-03-12
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 14 cm
- Collection: Foss MMG Ephemera
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine. Volunteer Militia
- Dance halls--Maine--Portland
- Dance parties--Maine--Portland
- Irish Americans--Maine--Portland
- Irish American soldiers
- Military cadets--Maine
- Portland Cadets (Me.)
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882--Commemoration
- Bronze sculpture
- Monuments & memorials--Maine--Portland
- Fun raising--Maine--Portland
- Longfellow Memorial
- Portland City Hall
- Portland High School Cadets
- Portland Irish
- Portland Montgomery Guards
- W. J. McCallum
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Irish Heritage Center
PO Box 7588, 34 Gray Street, Portland, ME 04112-7588
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.