Contributed by Maine Irish Heritage Center
The Portland Montgomery Guards held a Grand Ball in Portland on May 24, possibly in 1883. The Montgomery Guards were an all Irish-American volunteer militia.
The text on the invitation reads, "Active The Portland Montgomery Guards cordially invite you to be present at City Hall, Thursday Evening, May 24th, to participate in a Grand Ball to be given by the Company, complimentary to its Honorary Organization. Yours, &c., &c., Com. of Arrangements. Honorary."
About This Item
- Title: Montgomery Guards Grand Ball invitation, Portland, ca. 1883
- Creation Date: circa 1883
- Subject Date: circa 1883
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper on cloth
- Dimensions: 8.9 cm x 11.4 cm
- Collection: Foss MMG Ephemeria
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Irish Heritage Center
PO Box 7588, 34 Gray Street, Portland, ME 04112-7588
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine. Volunteer Militia
- Dance halls--Maine--Portland
- Dance parties--Maine--Portland
- Irish Americans--Maine--Portland
- Irish American soldiers
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.