Lower business section, Water Street, Skowhegan, ca. 1884

Contributed by Skowhegan History House

Lower business section, Water Street, Skowhegan, ca. 1884

Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.

Description

"Building in the shadow at right was probably owned and occupied by Frank (Jock) Moore, who very likely is one of the two men to be seen on the narrow verandah, second story. Observe the big poster in window, with the word "Celebration". This indicates that the parade in the street is part of a Fourth of July observance.

Note small sign of Peter Lessor, shoe repairer, just to the right of the livery stable of Green S. Hill. The sign, "John W. Delano," indicates a blacksmith shop, which stood back from the street at the rear of this alley. The location of the G. S. Hill stable is now occupied by the Masonic Building, built by Fred C. Dunlap.

The top of the Court House dome, removed many years since, shows over the top of the stable, just referred to. Just beyond the alley, which is still vacant, shows the old Bakery Building sold to Fred Tuscan in 1924. It gets its name from the fact that James Harmon many years ago produced bakery products here, mostly crackers. The Borden Block has been built in place of the building which shows just beyond the bakery. The maple tree in this picture disappeared long since. The pool room and another brick building just beyond, built by the late R. W. Brown, in part from bricks salvaged at the time of the removal of the High Street Christian Church, now occupy some portion of the street between the Borden Block just mentioned and the Court Street corner. Coburn Hall may be seen in the background.
<BR><BR>
On the left may be seen the top or coping of the old Reporter Building. This was built by the Town of Skowhegan for a public hall. James G. Blaine and other distinguished men spoke there during the time that it was used for this purpose."

~Roland T. Patten, Custodian of Historical Views

View/Add Comments


About This Item

  • Title: Lower business section, Water Street, Skowhegan, ca. 1884
  • Creation Date: circa 1884
  • Subject Date: circa 1884
  • Media: Photographic print
  • Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
  • Local Code: 6.074.2
  • Collection: Henry A. Wyman Collection
  • Object Type: Image

Cross Reference Searches

Standardized Subject Headings

People

Other Keywords


For more information about this item, contact:

Skowhegan History House
66 Elm Street, PO Box 832, Skowhegan, ME 04976
(207) 474-6632
Website

Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.


Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.