Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Writing from the 6th Regiment Maine Volunteers camp at Maxall Hill, Virginia, Pvt. John E. Stewart of Cherryfield, a soldier in Co. G, wrote to Samantha Leighton of Cherryfield about being sick from "standing picket."
He also discussed how he was sending letters and whether they were being received.
He told Leighton he had sent her flower seeds in some letters.
About This Item
- Title: Pvt. John E. Stewart on letter writing, Virginia, 1861
- Creator: Stewart, John E.
- Creation Date: 1861-10-20
- Subject Date: 1861
- Lewinsville, VA
- Columbia, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 12.2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-7336, Misc. Box 255/9
- Collection: John E. Stewart correspondence to Samantha Leighton
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Domestic Life--Virginia--Columbia
- Military life--Virginia--Lewinsville
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 6th (1861-1864)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.