Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Horatio Staples of Bangor, a sergeant in Co. G of the 2nd Maine received this gift of a regimental flag. Staples, who fought in both battles of Bull Run, enlisted in May 1861. When he was mustered out in June 1863, he was a 1st lieutenant.
Sgt. William J. Deane of Bangor of Co. A carried the flag for the regiment. A label on the back of the flag tells its story:
About This Item
- Title: 2nd Maine Regiment flag fragment, 1861
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: 1861
- Media: Silk, cloth
- Dimensions: 14.7 cm x 7.9 cm
- Local Code: 3903*
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Standards (Identifying artifacts)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1863). Company G
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.