Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Portland Company metalworking shop, ca. 1890 showing equipment.
The picture shows lathes and milling machines.
Note the dual-gauge railroad tracks in the shop. The Portland Company built and worked on cars and locomotives of five or six different track gauges in the 19th century. (Fletcher, David H. 'The Portland Company 1846-1982. Charleston, S.C. : Arcadia Pub., 2002. 12.)
About This Item
- Title: Interior view of Portland Company shop, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Photoprint
- Local Code: Coll. 242, Box 29 10-2
- Collection: Portland Company records
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Railroad equipment industries
- Metalworking industries--Maine--Portland
- Portland Company (Portland, Me.)--Interiors--Photographs
- Transportation equipment industries
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.