Contributed by South Bristol Historical Society
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at South Bristol School. More info about student projects.
The Wiwurna, an Eastern Steamship Line vessel, is tied up at the Christmas Cove wharf in this photograph. Many summer visitors arrived on this steamer which made calls at Bath and Boothbay among other harbors. The third, and largest, Holly Inn dominates the background. The third Holly Inn was a 100-room hotel which burned to the ground in 1940, meeting the same fate as its two predecessors.
About This Item
- Title: Steamer Wiwurna and Holly Inn, Christmas Cove, 1924
- Creation Date: circa 1924
- Subject Date: circa 1924
- Location: South Bristol, Lincoln County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12.5 cm x 18.5 cm
- Local Code: 1000.02.026.253
- Collection: Ivan Flye Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Steamboats--Maine--Christmas Cove
- Hotels--Maine--Christmas Cove
- Piers & wharves--Maine--Christmas Cove
- Wiwurna (ship)
- Tourism--Maine--Christmas Cove
For more information about this item, contact:South Bristol Historical Society
P. O. Box 229, South Bristol, ME 04568
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.