Contributed by Maine Historical Society
A numbered list appears to be the minutes of a meeting of the R.F. Society of Portland, a group of young women who sought to provide aid to wounded soldiers.
Item #1 may be the founding date of the group: December 17, 1862.
Item #2 appears to be the group's mission: "To aid the Ladies San. Comtee of Portland in their efforts to improve the condition of our sick & wounded soldiers."
The group had 60 members. The list details the amount and types of clothing provided.
About This Item
- Title: Account of items sent to soldiers, Portland, 1865
- Creator: R.F. Society, Portland
- Creation Date: 1865
- Subject Date: 1865
- Town: Boston, Portland, Washington
- County: Cumberland
- State: DC, MA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.4 cm x 12.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-307, Misc. Box 11/8
- Collection: R. F. Society records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Military hospitals--Maryland
- Military medicine
- Relief (Aid)
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment & supplies
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Medical care
- War--Relief of sick and wounded
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.