Contributed by Maine Historical Society
A numbered list appears to be the minutes of a meeting of the R.F. Society of Portland, a group of young women who sought to provide aid to wounded soldiers.
Item #1 may be the founding date of the group: December 17, 1862.
Item #2 appears to be the group's mission: "To aid the Ladies San. Comtee of Portland in their efforts to improve the condition of our sick & wounded soldiers."
The group had 60 members. The list details the amount and types of clothing provided.
About This Item
- Title: Account of items sent to soldiers, Portland, 1865
- Creator: R.F. Society, Portland
- Creation Date: 1865
- Subject Date: 1865
- Town: Boston, Portland, Washington
- County: Cumberland
- State: DC, MA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.4 cm x 12.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-307, Misc. Box 11/8
- Collection: R. F. Society records
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Military hospitals--Maryland
- Military medicine
- Relief (Aid)
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment & supplies
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Medical care
- War--Relief of sick and wounded
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.