Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Horatio Jose, a businessman in Portland and former quartermaster of the 12th Maine Regiment, wrote to Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, former commander of the 12th Maine.
Shepley, serving as commander of the Division of Eastern Virginia of the Union army, had received several notices that ordnance issued to the 12th Maine had not been accounted for in the fourth quarter reports of 1861. Jose reported that he did not recall receiving invoices or giving receipts for the stores and that all the regiment's paperwork was destroyed by the Confederates at Bayou Boeuf.
He also wrote about events in Portland.
About This Item
- Title: H. Jose on ordnance documents, Portland, 1865
- Creator: Jose, Horatio N.
- Creation Date: 1865-01-20
- Subject Date: 1865
- Local Name: Fort Fisher
- Town: Bayou Boeuf, Boston, Portland, Wilmington
- County: Cumberland, Suffolk
- State: LA, MA, ME, NC
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 26.7 cm x 21 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/4
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- War destruction & pillage--Louisiana--Bayou Boeuf
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
- Military service--1860-1870
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.