Contributed by Maine Historical Society
These are wampum beads. In addition to being used for messages, these strings of beads were also used in ceremonies and as a form of currency. These particular beads were found in East Machias.
About This Item
- Title: Wampum beads, East Machias, ca. 1000
- Creation Date: circa 2000
- Subject Date: circa 1000
- Location: East Machias, Washington County, ME
- Media: Shell
- Local Code: Native American Collection, Misc. Box 21
- Collection: Native American collection
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Abenaki Indians--Maine--East Machias
- Indians of North America--Jewelry
- Indians of North America--Maine--East Machias
- Indians of North America--Money
- Wampum--Maine--East Machias
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.