Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This engraving serves as the frontispiece of "Indian Good Book made by Eugene Detromile Indian Patriarch for the Benefit of the Penobscot, Passamaquoddy, St. John's, Micmac and other tribes of the Abnaki Indians, 1856."
Father Sebastien Rale, or Rasles, was serving the Abenaki Indians at the settlement of Norridgewock in 1724 when he was murdered by the English and another tribe, on Aug. 23, 1724.
The full title of this engraving is, "Death of Father Sebastian Rale of the Society of Jesus. Killed by the English and Mohawks at Norridgewock, Aug. 23, 1724."
About This Item
- Title: 'Death of Father Sebastian Rale,' 1856
- Creator: Detromile, Eugene
- Creation Date: 1856
- Subject Date: 1724-08-02
- Town: Norridgewock
- County: Somerset
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper, book
- Dimensions: 17 cm x 12 cm
- Local Code: QJ 282 V642
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Mohawk Indians--Maine--Norridgewock
- Abenaki Indians--Maine--Norridgewock
- Maine--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- Indians of North America--Maine--Abenaki
- Rasles, Sebastien, 1657-1724
- Eastern Indians, Wars with, 1722-1726
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.