Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
New Belgium: New England and part of Virginia, by Visscher. An inset of New Amsterdam (Manhattan) is shown on the bottom right.
Scale given in Milliaria Germania communia. Dutch mapmakers were in fierce competition with each other and freely stole and published each others' works. Therefore, it is often difficult to establish the authentic creator of maps produced in the 17th century.
About This Item
- Title: Novi Belgii: Novaeque Angliae Nec Non partis Virginiae, ca. 1655
- Creator: Visscher, Nicolaum
- Creation Date: circa 1655
- Subject Date: circa 1655
- State: ME
- Media: Map, ink on paper
- Dimensions: 54 cm x 63 cm
- Local Code: Map F 499
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800--17th century
- North America--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800--17th century
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.