Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Major Gen. Benjamin Butler conveyed his wishes that Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, military governor of Louisiana, would issue an order to stop the whipping of prisoners at the Parish Prison. The note gave no explanation for the request.
About This Item
- Title: Request to prohibit whipping of prisoners, New Orleans, 1862
- Creator: Fred Martin
- Creation Date: 1862-09-24
- Subject Date: 1862
- Location: New Orleans, LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 12.3 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 2/1
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Whipping--Louisiana--New Orleans
- Prisoners of war
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.