Contributed by Swan's Island Historical Society
Fritz Johnson, stone cutter for the Swan's Island Quarry. Fritz John Johnson was born on March 24, 1899 in Sweden. Fritz moved to Swan's Island to work at the quarry, and married Evelyn Lora Martin in 1922. They lived on the Quarry Road. Fritz was reported to be the fastest paving stone cutter. He died on March 7, 1985.
Notice the clothes drying on the oven door.
About This Item
- Title: Fritz Johnson, Swan's Island, ca. 1950.
- Creation Date: circa 1950
- Subject Date: circa 1950
- Location: Swan's Island, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 36 cm x 25 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Quarries and quarrying--Maine--Swan's Island
- Granite quarrying--Maine--Swan's Island
- Stone cutting--Maine--Swan's Island
- Stonecutters--Maine--Swan's Island
For more information about this item, contact:Swan's Island Historical Society
PO Box 144, 9 North Rd, Swan's Island, ME 04685
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.