Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Horatio Jose of Portland, who had served as quartermaster for the 12th Maine Regiment, but was now back in civilian life, wrote to his friend Col. George F. Shepley.
He addressed his letter to "His Excellency, Governor of Louisiana." Jose commented on Shepley's recent appointment to that post. Shepley, who commanded the 3rd Bridgade, was previously military commandant of New Orleans.
Jose wrote that he was sure Shepley could be elected governor of Maine if he so chose. Jose also discussed Col. Neal Dow, reporting on speculation about what post he would be given.
He also commented on business matters.
About This Item
- Title: Horatio Jose to Gen. George F. Shepley, 1862
- Creator: Jose, Horatio N.
- Creation Date: 1862-06-08
- Subject Date: 1862
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 1/5
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Recruiting & enlistment--1860-1870
- Career plateaus
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
- Military service--1860-1870
- Military service, Voluntary
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Politics & government
- Government officials--Louisiana
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.