Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Dr. James B. Bell wrote from Augusta to Col. George F. Shepley of the 12th Maine Volunteers recommending Dr. Gordon as an assistant regimental surgeon.
Bell wrote that Col. Door wanted to "take a personal friend as his asst. Surg. meaning myself." He told Shepley he would be conferring "a great favor by opening a position for me in Col. Dorr's regiment."
He also commended Dr. Gordon as assistant surgeon and urged Shepley to give Gordon a few days to get his affairs in order before he could join the regiment.
About This Item
- Title: Surgeon request to join regiment, Augusta, 1861
- Creator: Bell, James B.
- Creation Date: 1861-12-17
- Subject Date: 1861-12-17
- Town: Augusta, Lowell
- County: Kennebec, Middlesex
- State: MA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.6 cm x 13.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 1/1
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military medicine
- Military service, Voluntary
- Military service--1860-1870
- Recruiting & enlistment--1860-1870
- Surgeons general (Military personnel)
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.