Contributed by Camden Public Library
Caption on the back of photograph: "Camden, Maine. Subject: Cross on Maiden's Cliff, Mt. Megunticook, where girl lost her life nearly 100 years ago. Date: May 19, 1941. Photographer: Betty Foxwell."
On May 7, 1864, Elenora French of Lincolnville accompanied her older sister and some of her sister's friends to the top of Mt. Megunticook, where she fell to her death. A few years later a cross was erected on the site, and one has been maintained there ever since.
The cross in this picture, erected in 1924, was the third one to grace Maiden Cliff. It was made out of hard pine and stood 30-feet tall.
It was replaced in 1980 after a winter storm blew it down. The cross overlooks Megunticook Lake.
About This Item
- Title: Maiden Cliff, Mt. Megunticook, 1941
- Creator: Camden-Rockport Chamber of Commerce
- Creation Date: 1941-05-19
- Subject Date: 1864-05-07
- Town: Camden, Lincolnville
- County: Knox, Waldo
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: VF Maiden Cliff
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Camden Public Library
55 Main Street, Camden, ME 04843
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maiden Cliff (Mt. Megunticook, Camden, Me.)
- Monuments & memorials--Maine--Camden--Mt. Megunticook--Photographs
- Mt. Megunticook (Me.)--Photographs
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.