Contributed by National Archives at Boston
Many of the attendees at the interdenominational church service at the Eastland Hotel in Portland are wearing Civil Defense insignias.
The Maine Civil Defense Religious Affairs Committee organized the service that was also broadcast by First Radio Parish of Maine.
Bruce Wright, head of the public relations division of Maine Civil Defense, headed the committee that included Father Jim Gower, the Rev. Elmer Bentley, Elder Voorhees and Rabbi David Berent, among others.
Jewish, Catholic, and several Protestant denominations were represented at the service.
About This Item
- Title: Interdenominational church service, Portland, ca. 1954
- Creator: Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization.
- Creation Date: circa 1954
- Subject Date: circa 1954
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: ARC 824935, 07/06/12
- Collection: Record Group 304: Records of the Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization; Civil Defense Photographs
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:National Archives at Boston
380 Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02452
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Interdenominational cooperation--Maine--Portland
- Civil defense--United States--Maine
- Maine. Civil Defense and Public Safety Agency
- General Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists--Maine
- Choirs (Music)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.