Choir, interdenominational church service, Portland, ca. 1954
Contributed by National Archives at Boston
The Religious Affairs Committee of the Maine Civil Defense organization initiated an interdenominational church service, perhaps the first such service in the state.
The service, held at the Eastland Hotel in Portland, was broadcast by First Radio Parish of Maine, located in the Eastland.
Rabbi David Berent, Father Jim Gower, the Rev. Elmer Bentley and Elder Voorhees were among the committee members who organized the service. Represented were Baptists, Episcopalians, Congregationalists, Seventh Day Adventists and Jewish worshippers.
- Title: Choir, interdenominational church service, Portland, ca. 1954
- Creator: Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization.
- Creation Date: circa 1954
- Subject Date: circa 1954
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: ARC 824935, 07/06/12
- Collection: Record Group 304: Records of the Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization; Civil Defense Photographs
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
National Archives at Boston
380 Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02452
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Civil defense--United States--Maine
Maine. Civil Defense and Public Safety Agency
General Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists--Maine
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.