Contributed by Mantor Library at UMF
Athletics for girls at Farmington State Normal School were in their infancy in the 1920s. Team sports were played as intramurals between dormitories and classes. In 1928, greater effort was made to provide a year-round program for women. Activities included basketball, tennis, field hockey, hiking, and volleyball.
This is the First Year (freshmen) team of 1928-1929. Its members included: (standing) Eleanor Cushing, Ruth Clapp, Marion Allen (physical education instructor), [?] Johnson, Betty Libby. Sitting: Marjory Holbrook, Helen Robinson, team Captain Doris "Dolly" Dunphy, and Bernice Newton.
About This Item
- Title: First Year basketball team, Farmington State Normal School, 1928
- Creator: Farmington State Normal School
- Creation Date: 1928
- Subject Date: 1928
- Location: Farmington, Franklin County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 17.75 cm x 13 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Women basketball players--Maine--Farmington
- Farmington State Teachers College (Me.)
- University of Maine Farmington--History
- Farmington State Normal School (Me.)
- College students--Maine--Farmington
- Allen, Marion
- Clapp, Ruth
- Cushing, Eleanor
- Dunphy, Doris
- Holbrook, Marjory
- Libby, Betty
- Newton, Bernice
- Robinson, Helen
- Farmington State Normal School
- University of Maine at Farmington
For more information about this item, contact:Mantor Library at UMF
University of Maine at Farmington, 116 South Street, Farmington, ME 04938
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.