Contributed by Yarmouth Historical Society
The photograph shows the Forest Paper Co. on the west bank at the "third falls" of the Royal River in Yarmouth.
The first paper company on the site, the Yarmouth Paper Co., built in 1865, burned in 1870. A new mill was built in 1872 and renamed the Forest Paper Co. in 1874. It made soda pulp for producing paper.
About This Item
- Title: View of Royal River, Forest Paper Co., Yarmouth, ca. 1900
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Local Name: Third Falls
- Town: Yarmouth
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: 1993.52.6
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Yarmouth Historical Society
118 East Elm St., PO Box 107, Yarmouth, ME 04096
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Pulp mills--Maine--Yarmouth
- Paper industry
- Royal River (Me.)
- Railroad bridges--Maine--Yarmouth
- Lumber industry--Maine--Yarmouth
- Forest Paper Company (Yarmouth, Me.)
- Black Ash
- Elm Street
- Royal River
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.