Contributed by Sebago Historical Society
William Haley Jr. of Sebago wrote on the back of a song tract "The Battle of Gettysburg" to his daughter and niece.
He describes his life in the camp near Alexandria. He works in the cook house and says he lives "first rate," describing his meals. His current job is to “help set the table help put on the grub then help clear of the table" and nothing more until there is "a squad ready to go away."
He states he goes to a meeting almost every evening in a meeting house built for the soldiers. He encourages his daughter Elzira and niece Mary to learn the song on the tract.
About This Item
- Title: Wm. Haley Jr. to daughter and niece, Alexandria, Va., 1864
- Creator: Haley, Jr., William
- Creation Date: 1864-11-01
- Subject Date: 1864-11-01
- Local Name: Camp Distribution, Convene
- Town: Alexandria, Augusta, Sebago
- County: Cumberland, Kennebec
- State: ME, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.32 cm x 12.5 cm
- Local Code: W4.7
- Collection: Haley Family Letters
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Social aspects
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 30th (1863-1865). Company E
- War songs
- Haley family
- Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863
- Haley, Jr., William
- Haley, Elzira M.
- Haley , Mary
- Davis, Charles
- Haley, Miriam Pugsley
- Haley, John (Johny) F.
- Haley, Sarah D.
- Haley, William (Billy) W.
- Hardwick, G. P.
For more information about this item, contact:Sebago Historical Society
PO Box 59, Sebago, ME 04029
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.