Contributed by United Society of Shakers
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The 1880 Alfred Church Journal records that on January 29, 1880, "Phares F. Goist the Artist came today and took a Bird's eye view of our beautiful Shaker Home which is to be inserted in the forthcoming 'History of York Co.'"
Visible from the left to the right are the Church family and Second Family and in the distance, the disbanded Third or Gathering Family. At the time 19 Brothers and 36 Sisters resided at the community.
About This Item
- Title: Birds'-eye view of Alfred Shaker community, 1880
- Creator: Goist, Phares Fulton
- Creation Date: 1880-01-29
- Subject Date: 1880-01-29
- Town: Alfred
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Slide from an illustration- camera obscura/lucida
- Local Code: ITE 3
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:United Society of Shakers
707 Shaker Road, New Gloucester, ME 04260
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United Society of Shakers--Maine--Alfred--Description & views--Birds-eye-views--Maps
- Christian communities
- Delmer Charles Wilson
- New Gloucester
- New Hampshire
- Religion & philosophy
- Religious community
- Sabbathday Lake
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.