Contributed by National Archives at Boston
Instructors at the Navy's firefighter school on Little Chebeague Island in Casco Bay used this building during World War II.
Many escort ships trained in Casco Bay and the Navy occupied Little Chebeague mostly to provide recreation for sailors. It also operated a firefighter school there to teach sailors to fight shipboard fires.
About This Item
- Title: Instructors building, Little Chebeague Island, 1947
- Creator: Swan, Clifford
- Creation Date: 1947-10-11
- Subject Date: 1947-10-11
- Local Name: Little Chebeague Island
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 13.3 cm
- Local Code: ARC #607653, Box 30, 23/06/09-6
- Collection: Record Group 270: Records of the War Assets Administration; Real Property Disposal Case Files
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Fire prevention--Study and teaching--Maine
- Fire extinction--Maine
- Casco Bay (Me.)
- Military bases, American
- United States. Navy.
- Military training--Maine--Little Chebeague Island
- Buildings--Maine--Little Chebeague Island
- Little Chebeague Island (Me.)
- Schools--Maine--Litte Chebeague Island
For more information about this item, contact:National Archives at Boston
380 Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02452
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.