Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Charles Bridges wrote to Major General Nathaniel T. Banks, commander of the Department of the Gulf, to resign as 1st Lieutenant of Co. H, 3rd United States Volunteers, General Ullman's Brigade (Colored Infantry).
Bridges cited "chronic ill health and the rigor of this climate" as the reasons and emphasized that he had "served faithfully" during the recent Union siege of Port Hudson.
The 3rd United States Volunteers was later known as the 8th Corps d'Afrique and the 80th United States Colored Troops. Bridges served for two years in the 2nd Maine Infantry in Virginia and Maryland before accepting an officer commission in the 3rd U.S. Volunteers, a company of black soldiers raised in Louisiana, which included both free and newly emancipated men.
About This Item
- Title: Charles Bridges resignation, Port Hudson, LA, 1863
- Creator: Bridges, Charles
- Creation Date: 1863-07-25
- Subject Date: 1863-07-25
- Town: Castine, Port Hudson
- County: Hancock
- State: LA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 2114, Box 1/2
- Collection: Charles Bridges/80th U.S. Colored Volunteers Civil War records
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Bridges, Charles, b. 1838--Diseases
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Ullmann, Daniel, 1810-1892
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--African Americans
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 80th (1864-1867)
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 8th (1863-1865)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.