Contributed by United Society of Shakers
This panorama shows most of the buildings at the Church Family, Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village.
From left to right are the Mill complex, School House, Carriage Shed, Ministry's Shop, Dwelling House, Meeting House, Garden seed House, Cow Barn, Brethren's Shop, Spin House, Trustees' Office, Ox and Horse Barns and Hired Men's House. Obscured are the Girls'Shop, Sisters' Shop and Herb House.
Other landmarks of note are the community's orchard and vegetable garden and in the background, Sabbathday Lake.
This view is a composite of two photographs and was probably also taken with a panoramic camera which accounts for the odd perspective.
About This Item
- Title: View from the Garden Hill, New Gloucester, ca. 1907
- Creator: Wilson, Delmer Charles
- Creation Date: circa 1907
- Subject Date: circa 1907
- Local Name: Sabbathday Lake
- Town: New Gloucester
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print, glass plate negative
- Local Code: 379
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Christian communities
- Farm buildings--Maine--New Gloucester
- Farms--Maine--New Gloucester--Photographs
- Shaker architecture--Photographs
- Shakers--Missions--New Gloucester
- United Society of Shakers--Maine--New Gloucester--Sabbathday Lake
- Architecture, buildings & monuments
- BuildingsChristian communities
- Delmer Charles WilsonDelmer C. Wilson
- New Hampshire
- Religion & philosophy
- Religious community
For more information about this item, contact:United Society of Shakers
707 Shaker Road, New Gloucester, ME 04260
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.