Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Aroostook State Normal School, a facility for training teachers, in Presque Isle.
The school opened in 1903. The town bought the closed St. John's Episcopal Secondary School for Boys and offered the buildings and the land to the state for a normal school.
The school received junior college status in 1947 and adopted a four-year curriculum in 1950. The name changed to Aroostook State Teachers College in 1952 and to Aroostook State College in 1965.
It became the University of Maine at Presque Isle in 1970.
About This Item
- Title: Aroostook State Normal School, Presque Isle, ca. 1930
- Creation Date: circa 1930
- Subject Date: circa 1930
- Location: Presque Isle, Aroostook County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 9 cm x 14 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 448
- Collection: Prints of original post cards of Witteman Brothers Postal Card Company
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Aroostook State Normal School (Me.)--Photographs--Postcards
- Schools--Maine--Presque Isle
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.