Contributed by Androscoggin Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes business in Lewiston. The corner of the building has two street signs, Lowell Street and Bates Street.
Back of photo has writing "Papa's store in Bates & 218 Main Street, Lewiston, Maine. Still a shoe store in 1967. William A. Bailey, Shoe Store about 1895. Also in the same building was Lee Wah Laundry."
From 1894 to the mid-1960s this building was occupied by the Prince Shoe Store, 30 Bates Street, Lewiston. According to Maine Magazine in 1907, p. 76, C. L. Prince maintained low overhead costs and "deals in sample and job lots and slightly damaged shoes, which are invariably most excellent value for the money."
This appears to be one of the oldest commercial buildings in Lewiston.
About This Item
- Title: Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes, Lewiston
- Creation Date: circa 1895
- Subject Date: circa 1895
- Town: Lewiston
- County: Androscoggin
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 11.5 cm x 16.5 cm
- Local Code: Lewiston Store Fronts & Interiors
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Androscoggin Historical Society
2 Turner Street, Auburn, ME 04210
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Prince Shoe Store (Lewiston, Me.)
- Lewiston (Me.)--Description & views
- Augusta Harness and damaged shoes (Lewiston, Me.)--Photographs
- Chinese Americans
- Lowell St. (Lewiston, Me.)
- Bates St. (Lewiston, Me.)
- William A. Bailey Shoe store (Lewiston, Me.)
- Lee Wah Laundry (Lewiston, Me.)--Photographs
- Shoe stores--Maine--Lewiston
- Architecture, buildings & monuments
- Business & commerce
- chinese Americans
- Show stores
- Work & industry
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.