Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Granville Sparrow of Portland (1836-1907) was 25 when he enlisted in Co. A of the 17th Maine Infantry on August 18, 1862.
Sparrow was promoted several times, achieving the rank of captain. Sparrow was issued -- and wore -- these white wool long underwear during his service in the Civil War.
About This Item
- Title: Sparrow long underwear, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Wool
- Local Code: 1998.453.16
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine----History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907--Associated objects
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.