Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Grenville Sparrow of Portland (1836-1907) was 25 when he enlisted in Co. A of the 17th Maine Infantry on August 18, 1862.
Sparrow was promoted several times, achieving the rank of captain. Sparrow was issued -- and wore -- these white wool long underwear during his service in the Civil War.
About This Item
- Title: Sparrow long underwear, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Wool
- Local Code: 1998.453.16
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractual obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907--Associated objects
- Maine----History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.