Contributed by Androscoggin Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Maine State Fair procession about 1900 at the Lewiston Fairgrounds. Several pairs of oxen appear. The oxen were important for farm work and transport of heavy loads. The exhibition building is in top left corner.
Agricultural fairs were held in Lewiston as early as 1837. The first fair to use the grounds next to the railroad tracks on upper Main Street was in 1881. Visitors jammed Lewiston from all over New England during the week of the fair.
About This Item
- Title: Maine State Fair procession, Lewiston, ca. 1900
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Location: Lewiston, Androscoggin County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12.5 cm x 19.5 cm
- Local Code: Lewiston Views
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine State Fair (Lewiston, Me.)--Photographs
- Agricultural exhibits
- Ox teams--Maine--Lewiston
- Agricultural fairs
- Business & commerce
- Industry & work
- Nature, geography & animals
- Recreation & leisure
For more information about this item, contact:Androscoggin Historical Society
2 Turner Street, Auburn, ME 04210
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.