Contributed by Androscoggin Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
View of Lisbon Street from the corner of Main in Lewiston. Lisbon Street became the main commercial center of the city.
A sign for Island Garden Theatre Performance is visible. Other visible businesses include Chas A. Abbott Central Drug Store, and Dr. Bonney, Dentist.
The building on the corner at left is Central Block, which housed city offices until construction of a city building in 1871. The building beyond Central Block is Journal Block, which housed the newspaper
The building on the corner at right was constructed in 1853 as the First Baptist Church. After 1870 it was used briefly by other congregations. Eventually the building became commercial space, including a casino, until it was razed in 1901.
About This Item
- Title: Lisbon Street, Lewiston, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1892
- Subject Date: circa 1892
- Location: Lewiston, Androscoggin County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12.5 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: Lewiston Views
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Newspaper offices
- Dental offices
- Carriages & coaches--Maine--Lewiston
- Office buildings--Maine--Lewiston
- Lewiston (Me.)--Description & views
- First Baptist Church (Lewiston, Me.)--Photographs
- Lisbon St. (Lewiston, Me.)--Photographs
For more information about this item, contact:Androscoggin Historical Society
2 Turner Street, Auburn, ME 04210
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.