Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Nelson W. Jones, the son of Nelson and Hanna Jones of Palermo, was 18 when he enlisted in Co. I of the Maine 3rd Infantry Regiment on June 4, 1861 as a private.
Jones was promoted to sergeant. He was killed at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863.
About This Item
- Title: Sgt. Nelson W. Jones, 3rd Maine Infantry, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Town: Palermo
- County: Waldo
- State: ME
- Media: Tintype
- Dimensions: 18 cm x 12.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2003, Box 2/8 (2008.500.0015)
- Collection: Early photography collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 3rd (1861-1864)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.