Contributed by Sebago Historical Society
William Haley Jr., 39, a private in the Maine 30th Regiment, writes from the General Hospital at Camp Keyes in Augusta to his young son Johny describing his tent and his dinner.
He is concerned about the family farm in Sebago, telling Johny to take good care of the colt and to "tell Granpa to wean the colt when the sign is right" and that he expects the wheat is all cut by this time.
He reminds Johny of "that promas you made that you would not go to the pond to go in a swimming and not go off without letting your Mother know."
He is unsure when he will get his orders to be sent back to his regiment. "They will not be likely to send me untill there is a squad agoing," he wrote.
About This Item
- Title: William Haley letter to son in Sebago, 1864
- Creator: Haley Jr., William
- Creation Date: 1864-08-25
- Subject Date: 1864-08-25
- Local Name: Camp Keyes, Convene
- Town: Augusta, Sebago
- County: Cumberland, Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 21.5 cm x 17.2 cm
- Local Code: W4.3
- Collection: Haley Family Letters
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Sebago Historical Society
PO Box 59, Sebago, ME 04029
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 30th (1863-1865). Company E
- Haley, William H.--Correspondence
- Fathers and sons
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Hospitals
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Medical care
- Haley family
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- War wounds
- Wounds and injuries
- Haley, William, Jr.
- Haley, John (Johny) F.
- Davis, Charles
- Haley , Elzira M.
- Haley , Sarah D.
- Haley, William (Billy) W.
- Haley, Miriam Pugsley
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.