Contributed by Swan's Island Educational Society
Listen to the conversation
Gwen May (Staples) worked as a part time telephone operator when she was a teenager. These are stories she shares about her telephone operator experiences in the 1960s.
This interview was created and produced by Meghan Vigeant in 2010.
About This Item
- Title: Gwen May remembers working the Swan's Island telephone switchboard in the 1960s
- Creator: May, Gwen Staples
- Creation Date: circa 1960
- Subject Date: circa 1960
- Local Name: Atlantic
- Town: Swans Island
- County: Hancock
- State: ME
- Media: Mp3
- Collection: Islanders at Work
- Object Type: Sound Recording
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Humorous stories
- Swans Island (Me.)--Personal narratives
- Teenagers--Maine--Swans Island
- Telephone operators--Maine--Swans Island
- Telephone switchboards--Maine--Swans Island
- Women--Employment--Maine--Swans Island
For more information about this item, contact:Swan's Island Educational Society
c/o Swan's Island Historical Society, POB 86, Swan's Island, ME 04685
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.