Contributed by Swan's Island Historical Society
Lil Smith and her husband worked for the Swan's Island telephone company during the 1950s. The office was located at 122 Atlantic Road. They used a hand crank system as shown in the photograph.
About This Item
- Title: Lillian 'Lil' Smith, telephone operator for Swan's Island, ca. 1950
- Creation Date: circa 1950
- Subject Date: circa 1950
- Location: Swan's Island, Hancock County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 28 cm x 36 cm
- Local Code: 2010-40-033
- Collection: Islanders at Work
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Switchboard operators--Maine--Swan's Island
- Telephone companies--Maine--Swan's Island
- Telephone operators--Maine--Swan's Island
- Women--Employment--Maine--Swan's Island
For more information about this item, contact:Swan's Island Historical Society
PO Box 144, 9 North Rd, Swan's Island, ME 04685
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.