Contributed by Swan's Island Educational Society
Listen to the conversation
Eva Wheaton talks about her mother's years working at the quarry boarding house, ca. 1890. Her mother, Rose Martin, went to work at the boarding house for Betsey McDuffy when she was a teenager. Eva's grandfather,, William Martin, came to the island from Scotland and worked as a stone cutter at the quarry.
This interview was created and produced by Meghan Vigeant in 2010.
About This Item
- Title: Eva Wheaton on quarry boarding house, Swans Island, ca. 1890
- Creator: Wheaton, Eva
- Creation Date: 2010
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Local Name: Minturn
- Town: Swan's Island
- County: Hancock
- State: ME
- Media: Mp3
- Collection: Islanders at Work
- Object Type: Sound Recording
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Granite industry--Maine--Swan's Island
- Housework--Maine--Swans Island
- Labor housing--Maine--Swans Island
- Lodging houses--Maine--Swans Island
- Scottish Americans--Maine
- Stone cutting--Maine--Swans Island
- Stone industry--Maine--Swans Island
- Women--Employment--Maine--Swans Island
For more information about this item, contact:Swan's Island Educational Society
c/o Swan's Island Historical Society, POB 86, Swan's Island, ME 04685
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.