Contributed by Swan's Island Educational Society
Granite from Swan's Island was quarried, cut to size and shipped by boat primarily to New York City.
The quarry rails in the photo lead to a wooden sail boat with three masts waiting for delivery of the granite in Burnt Coat Harbor.
About This Item
- Title: Quarry rails, Swan's Island, ca. 1900
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Local Name: Minturn
- Town: Swan's Island
- County: Hancock
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 28 cm x 36 cm
- Local Code: 2009-1-002
- Collection: Islanders at Work
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Railroad tracks--Maine--Swan's Island
- Harbors--Maine--Swan's Island
- Stone industry--Maine--Swan's Island
- Granite industry--Maine--Swan's Island
- Railroad rails--Maine--Swan's Island
For more information about this item, contact:Swan's Island Educational Society
c/o Swan's Island Historical Society, POB 86, Swan's Island, ME 04685
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.