Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Edward R. Spear wrote to Col. Elijah Walker of the 4th Maine Infantry asking him how Otis Spear (Harry's boy) was doing as a soldier. Edward wrote that, if Otis Spear were deserving, he would like a recommendation to get him a promotion.
Otis Spear enlisted in Co. B of the 4th Maine Infantry as a private on June 15, 1861. He was promoted to corporal on August 25, 1861.
He was transferred into the 19th Infantry in July 1864.
About This Item
- Title: Inquiry about soldier's promotion, Augusta, 1864
- Creator: Spear, Edward R.
- Creation Date: 1864-03-10
- Subject Date: 1864
- Town: Augusta
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.8 cm x 12.7 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 1/3
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
- United States Sanitary Commission
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army--Promotions
- Military promotions
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 4th (1861-1864). Company B
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.