Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
John C. Perry of Appleton was 34 when he was commissioned a 2nd lieutenant in Co. D of the 17th Maine Infantry on August 19, 1862.
Perry, who worked as a house painter, was promoted to first lieutenant in November 1862, and as captain in May 1863. He was wounded at Petersburg on June 16, 1864.
He returned to Portland after the war and continued in his profession.
About This Item
- Title: Capt. John C. Perry, Portland, ca. 1863
- Creator: A. M. McKenney, Portland
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Town: Appleton
- County: Knox
- State: ME
- Media: Carte de visite
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2293, Carte de visite album
- Collection: Capt. Granville F. Sparrow Civil War collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- Perry, John C.--Portrait photographs
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.