Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Granville Sparrow of Portland, who served in the Maine 17th Infantry Regiment, poses with three unidentified friends.
Sparrow enlisted in August 1862 as a sergeant. He was later promoted to 2nd and then 1st lieutenant and finally to captain in June 1864.
The 17th Maine saw action in 30 battles of the Civil War, including Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg.
About This Item
- Title: Granville Sparrow and friends, ca. 1864
- Creation Date: circa 1864
- Subject Date: circa 1864
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Tintype
- Dimensions: 6.3 cm x 10 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2293, Carte de visite album
- Collection: Capt. Granville F. Sparrow Civil War collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Eating & drinking
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907
- Sparrow, Granville, Fontaine, 1837-1907--Friends & associates
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.