Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
George W. West, a native of Lowell, Massachusetts, enlisted in the 5th Massachusetts Infantry, then resigned to become a captain in the 10th Maine Infantry in October 1861.
He was commissioned into Co. S of the 17th Maine in July 1862 as a full major. He was promoted to colonel in October 1863 and commanded the 17th Maine until 1865.
West (1832-1899) was promoted to brigadier general for bravery at the battle of Antietam.
About This Item
- Title: Col. George W. West, Portland, 1862
- Creator: A. M. McKenney, Portland
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Location: Somerville, MA
- Media: Carte de visite
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2293, Carte de visite album
- Collection: Capt. Granville F. Sparrow Civil War collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1865)
- West, George W.--Portrait photographs
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 10th (1861-1863)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.