Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Granville Sparrow of Portland, who enlisted in Co. A of the 17th Maine in 1862 and moved through the ranks. He was promoted to Captain of Co. B in July 1864.
Sparrow (1836-1907) wore this cartridge belt during 30 engagements during the war.After the war, he returned to the Portland area.
About This Item
- Title: Granville Sparrow's cartridge belt, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Canvas, metal
- Local Code: 1998.453.18
- Collection: Capt. Granville F. Sparrow Civil War collection
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907--Associated objects
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment & supplies
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment and supplies
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- Weapons and ammunition
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.