Contributed by Maine Historical Society
This deposition by Native American Pere Pole gives information about the names along the Androscoggin River used by Native Americans. Josiah Little requested that this deposition be taken as part of a case against the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
About This Item
- Title: Pere Pole deposition, Hallowell, 1793
- Creator: Pole, Pere
- Creation Date: 1793-07-19
- Subject Date: 1793-07-19
- Town: Hallowell
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Paper and ink
- Local Code: Coll. 61, fl. 17, v7 504a
- Collection: Proprietors of the Township of Brunswick Pejepscot Proprietors papers
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Abenaki Tribe--Depositions
- Androscoggin River (N.H. and Me.)--History
- Indians of North America--Maine--Abenaki
- Land grants--Maine
- Pejepscot Proprietors
- Pejepscot Purchase Co.
- geographic place names
- Indian names
- Native American geographic names
- Native Americans
- Nature, geography & animals
- Personal writing
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.