Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Two horses were needed on the Congress Street line of the Portland Railroad Co. to pull the trolley up Munjoy Hill.
Once the trolley had completed the ascent, the second horse was returned to the bottom to await the next car.
About This Item
- Title: Horse-drawn trolley, Portland, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 21 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: Portland Street Railroads, fl. 12
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- St. John St. (Portland, Me.)--Photographs
- Electric railroads--Maine--Portland
- Portland Railroad Co. (Me.)--Photographs
- Horse railroads--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.