Contributed by Maine Historical Society
George E. Sawyer of Co. B, 31st Maine Volunteers, wrote to Mr. Watson, an agent of the Maine Sanitary Commission noting that he had not been paid for six months and hoped to be paid before he returned to the front.
Sawyer was at Wolf Street Hospital in Alexandria, Virginia.
About This Item
- Title: Letter seeking back pay, Virginia, 1861
- Creator: Sawyer, George E.
- Creation Date: 1861-08-12
- Subject Date: 1861
- Town: Alexandria
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 18.2 cm x 11.3 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 1/1
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Watson, Leonard--Correspondence
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Medical care
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Hospitals
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States Sanitary Commission
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 31st (1864-1865)--Salaries, etc.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.