Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Portland Company in Portland, Maine built this steam locomotive in 1880 for the Portland & Rochester Railroad. It is of standard guage, has 61-inch drivers and is posed out on the main line.--Fletcher, David H. 'The Portland Company 1846-1982.' Charleston, S.C. : Arcadia Pub., 2002. 76.
About This Item
- Title: The 'Alfred' steam locomotive, 1880
- Creation Date: 1880
- Subject Date: 1880
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Albumen print
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 40 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 242, Box 37-45
- Collection: Portland Company records
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Alfred (Locomotive)--Photographs
- Portland & Rochester Railroad--Photographs
- Railroad locomotive industry--Maine--Portland
- Railroad locomotives--United States--Maine--Portland
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.